TrainingForce 7 is a series of web applications with associated Microsoft.NET compiled libraries and dependent files. As a system administrator planning on the upgrade to TrainingForce 7, the following topics are most relevant:
The Microsoft SQL Server database structure used by TrainingForce has not changed.
There are no database changes required by TrainingForce 7. When upgrading, a backup of the existing TrainingForce 6 database is made and restored as TrainingForce7. The only exception is when TrainingForce 6 and TrainingForce 7 are running side-by-side (see below).
Microsoft.NET 4.5 is required.
The Microsoft.NET 4.5 is installed as part of Microsoft.NET 4.0 Framework. If TrainingForce 7 is being installed on a new server, then ensure SMTP server is installed or available.
The web.config files have changed.
The web.config files cannot be simply copied from TrainingForce 6 and paste into TrainingForce 7. The user keys from <appSettings> are copied from TrainingForce 6 and the ProductKey key value modified to use with TrainingForce 7. The existing Hash utility will be required to create the updated hash strings.
TrainingForce 7 can be run side-by-side with TrainingForce 6 (with caveats).
Technically, TrainingForce 7 can be run side-by-side with TrainingForce 6 for evaluation purposes, with the following caveats:
- The report temp directory must be configured in TrainingForce 7 to use the same directory as specified in TrainingForce 6.
- The "temp" virtual directory must be configured in TrainingForce 7 to use the same directory as specified in TrainingForce 6.
TrainingForce 6 Web Service support continues
Many installations have implemented custom programs that make use of TrainingForce 6 Web Service. The TrainingForce 6 Web Service continues to be supported and current programs that make use of TrainingForce 6 Web Service do not need to be modified after the upgrade to TrainingForce 7.
TrainingForce 6 SAML support continues
Installations that use SAML in TrainingForce 6 can continue to use the existing SAML logic after the upgrade to TrainingForce 7. TrainingForce 7 includes SAML support. Contact technical support for information on implementing SAML for your installation.
Recommended Approach (on same server as TrainingForce 6)
1. Ensure .NET 4 Framework is installed.
2. In SQL Server administrator, backup TrainingForce6 (production) and restore as TrainingForce7.
3. Copy TrainingForce to destination (i.e. C:\TrainingForce\7\Manager, C:\TrainingForce\7\LaunchPad, etc.)
4. Modify web.config for each application, updating ProductKey (connection key should remain as in TrainingForce 6).
5. Log in and test.